Tuesday, January 25, 2011

STFU 2011

If you missed the eminently missable SOTU 2011, the transcript is here. Tax cuts, defunding social security,[via] but not the war in Afghanistan. Is it possible that he really believes his proposals will actually arrest the long term decline of the US, rather than accelerate it? If Barry is really as smart as his apologists say he is, then you'd think he knows better.

BHO=GWB.

For years I believed the democrats were the good guys and the republicans were the bad guys. I even voted for Mondale in '84, as well as Dukakis and Clinton later on. Now I believe the democrats are the bad guys and the republicans are the bad guys, and the so-called tea partiers are just crazy and stupid, daydreaming about their cock-eyed vision of the pre-civil rights era. Bipartisanship, at least as as most people construe it is likewise delusional, a psychological crutch for those who want to believe the system still works, and don't want to see the rot. Don't get me wrong- I understand the desire to believe, but the only choice we have left is whether or not we withhold our consent. That's all they want from us anyway, the conferral of legitimacy. Our opinions about what they do tofor us are irrelevant.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At January 26, 2011 3:53 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

I wouldn't dream of watching that little song and dance, but quickly scanned it on the transcript you provided. Good lord, is there ANY hackneyed cliche he failed to dredge up? The whole thing is crapola of the purest ray serene and one wonders WHO WOULD FALL FOR IT? Hey, Jon, you know the answer to that as well as I do--the vast majority of the electorate.
BTW, you're a mere kid, but I'm actually on social security, which provides about half my income. Think the corporate and political looters will leave anything for when you retire? Dream on.

 
At January 26, 2011 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll see your

BHO = GWB

and raise you:

BHO > GWB

w/r/t corp-o-rat-oc-ra-SEEE!

Fr Smith's Ratchet Effect has been upgraded to an air wrench. No more mechanical slowness. Pneumocracy, baby!

 
At January 26, 2011 12:29 PM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Hi Charles n' Mimi,

Charles, I don't know how to argue with that. Only I doubt either of us can raise the minimum to be invited to the table to play.(But they still take our money. Funny how that works...)

 
At January 26, 2011 1:28 PM, Anonymous ms_xeno said...

Buh-But--

DADT, guyz!!11 DADT!!11

Obama 4 EVA!!

 
At January 26, 2011 4:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jonathan,

I believed the same things at one time as well, that the dems were a good alternate choice, that they had their hearts in the right place. Boy, was I WRONG! Of course I have made being wrong a lifestyle but your point about conferring legitimacy is spot on. It's nice to see you posting again Jonathan, I was wondering where you were.

 
At January 26, 2011 6:00 PM, Blogger micah holmquist said...

I take it I didn't miss anything by not watching.

I remember watching a press conference by Bush in December of 08 and screaming at the tv to express my anger. I realized that I had done that for at least eight years and I didn't have the energy to do that anymore. So I now I refuse to watch live speeches by the president.

Maybe the State of the Union speech should be labeled "even less informative than Hardball."

 
At January 27, 2011 7:18 AM, Blogger Bob In Pacifica said...

I don't watch them because they make me alternately angry or depressed.

I will disagree slightly. Generally, at least in some parts of the country, a Democrat is better than a Republican. The farther you go up the ladder, though, the more Democrats begin to appear to be Republicans in disguise. Dem Representatives are generally more Republican than Dems in state legislatures. Dem Senators are more Republican, generally, than Dem Representatives. And Dem Presidents? Well, they feel your pain.

Someone said that politics in America in the 20th Century is bedrooms, blackmail and bullets. There are probably a few other "b's" in there too, I guess Bill Clinton could claim blowjobs and Obama could claim black, but you get the idea.

There are all sorts of means to weed out unrepetent progressives and centrists from higher office.

Yes, it's depressing, but it might pay progressives to understand how the decked gets stacked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home