Friday, December 30, 2011

Karen Alloy and the future of the internet, etc



above:"What is SOPA and PIPA and Why YouTube is so Important!"

Uploaded by spricket24 on Dec 20, 2011.

and below, "Statewide Ban on Cell Phones while Driving!"





I have a feeling that "Spricket 24", aka Karen Alloy, and her twin messages(regarding SOPA and PIPA legislation) have a far greater reach than your average lefty blogger. Her communication style reminds me a bit of Beakman's World, a TV show from a few years back that was apparently aimed at kids. However, somehow I don't find her irritating the way I did with him. Why, I'm not sure. Ok, that's not entirely true, I have an idea or two. She's funnier, for one thing. Also, well...oh, you know.

But even if she gets a thousand viewers for every one visitor to a site like Firedoglake or Boing Boing, what will happen then? Somewhat serious, yet coy and hip to avoid seeming too earnest is the overlay of much of modern communication, the style du jour. Maybe it's because millions of people realize that voting, advocacy, trying to change things for the better, etc., is most likely a sucker's game, but declaring this grimly without a little capering and snark is like abandoning all hope at the gate, and meekly passing through.


...

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At January 01, 2012 3:38 PM, Blogger Jim Wetzel said...

Jonathan, I believe you are entirely correct about the style du jour, and I expect this young woman is doing a substantial amount of good. May success attend her efforts. However, I remain a grumpy 57-year-old, and if that's the style of the day, then the day ... leaves something to be desired. It leaves a lot to be desired. I'll leave it at that.

 
At January 01, 2012 4:01 PM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Hi Jim, happy new year, and good to hear from you. I picture you having a Currier and Ives winter. Weren't they from Indiana?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home