Thursday, March 04, 2010

Jon Swift, aka Al Weisel

Jon Swift blogger

Barbara O'Brien of the Mahablog reports that Al Weisel, aka Jon Swift of the blogosphere, passed away on Feb 27th, of an aortic aneurysm. (see also Tom Watson, here.) He is survived by his mother but not his father, whose funeral he was attending.

Al Weisel also had a separate, somewhat ironically titled, homepage here.


Swift, as I knew him, offered this on his blog and facebook page as self description:

I am a reasonable conservative who likes to write about politics and culture. Since the media is biased I get all my news from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh and Jay Leno monologues.


Probably needless to say, this was in jest. Although I note that he was more just than at least one other faux-conservative blogger whose name/moniker I can't remember just now. Kevin Hayden writes:

...And that was as essential as Al's wit. He impressed me mightily as a decent and fair man. He didn't use his blog as a bludgeon to destroy conservatives. He chided and ridiculed, but he also engaged them and encouraged them to respond. They weren't run out of Dodge as occurs on many a liberal site.



His mother posted this at the blog. I can only imagine how she must feel.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 04, 2010 4:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

They weren't run out of Dodge as occurs on many a liberal site.

I’ve always thought that people who don’t agree with me should be run out of Dodge, it’s the only democratic way to be. I love democracy!

 
At March 04, 2010 8:43 PM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Rob, maybe you've been rumbling with too many less than ruly commenters, and your disposition has soured. I remember the days when all across the land people talked about the sublime goodness of a guy named Rob Payne, and some even said he was only a legend.

 
At March 04, 2010 9:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That’s it, I’m a legend in my own mind, er, I mean time. But my rumbling days are over, I’ve got nothing to prove, I have absolutely no ambition to be anything other than part of the great unwashed and unknown. And I absolutely refuse to become embroiled in unproductive arguments especially when they are the same argument over and over and over and over and over and over. What was that definition of insanity? Repeating the same action and getting the same results but expecting something else to happen or something like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home