Sunday, October 17, 2010

Caruso resurfaces

John Caruso at Distant Ocean has been on a break for a while, something I'm getting ready to do. He wrote on Friday:

If you're hankering for something of substance, read John Halle's response to Robert Parry's hauntingly familiar argument about why you should vote for Democrats, and how if you don't, every bad thing that's ever happened is your personal responsibility. Thrill at the fanciful flights of logic as Parry opines that you may have literally "doomed the future" through your desire to "feel morally pure." And when you've finished reading, repent your heresy and hand your vote back to the party that rightfully owns it. Robert Parry commands you!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 19, 2010 10:06 AM, Blogger micah holmquist said...

Is Parry's argument even necessary? Are there that many otherwise Democratic Party voters who want to punish the party of Clinton? I can't say what's in Parry's inbox, but I see no evidence of this, which is sad.

To me, the real question is how to popularize the outlook that would lead to such thinking? I have no idea.

 
At October 20, 2010 2:07 AM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Regarding your first point, I tend to agree. Parry is responding to people like Dennis Perrin and Caruso and others in the blogosphere, but they represent an infinitesimally small sliver of the so-called left wing.

The real question is more germane and harder to answer. I was hoping that some commenters would argue with me about voting for the Green candidate vs the dem vs not voting in the Texas governor's race, apropos of the larger point, but I guess it's not that interesting to would-be commenters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home