Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Killjoy




Evidently they meant to kill bin Laden. I suspected as much, but felt I should refrain from saying so because the facts weren't all in.

BBC: Bin Laden 'was unarmed when shot'

Meanwhile, the Christian Science Monitor has two different essays justifying discussing the killing of bin Laden unarmed in his bedroom, apparently posing no threat to the soldiers:

Was it legal for the US commandos to kill Osama bin Laden?

Were Navy SEALs justified in shooting an unarmed Osama bin Laden?

CNN: Initial White House misstatements questioned

Juan Cole, Bin Laden an Utter Failure:

I argue that to take full advantage of this political moment, the US must withdraw from Iraq and support the declaration of a Palestinian state at the UN General Assembly in September.

Does Cole believe any of that will happen, or does he just think he should be heard saying that?

a very good essay, by Justin, formerly of Americana:

"An American War Cry"


2 commenters on Facebook from earlier this week:

Judy:
I think they only killed bin laden because the media was sick of the royal wedding.

Laurie:
Well, he may be dead, but Times Square is right outside my window, and I haven't seen anybody "celebrating," let alone "thousands." I saw one broadcast camera yesterday and I couldn't even tell what they were shooting. The media is so full of shit.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 04, 2011 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob In Pacifica here.

I'm in the NY area this week. I saw shots of some college students celebrating bin Laden's death, but the loss of the Mets to the Giants, 7-6 in extra innings, seems to have muted the party atmosphere in the Big Apple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home