Sunday, September 11, 2011

Susan S. And Michael J.

1. Susan Sontag, on The Day:
"The voices licensed to follow the event seem to have joined together in a campaign to infantilize the public. Where is the acknowledgment that this was not a 'cowardly' attack on 'civilization' or 'liberty' or 'humanity' or 'the free world' but an attack on the world's self-proclaimed superpower, undertaken as a consequence of specific American alliances and actions?"
And so on.
2. Now here's a great antidote to all the tired and tiresome sentimentality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeiFF0gvqcc

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 11, 2011 7:51 AM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Hi Mimi,
I remember that comedian Bill Maher said something about how the hijacker's weren't cowards shortly afterwards, and was roundly denounced.

I hate to admit I don't even remember what his larger point was, or if he even had one. I just remember how people got bent out of shape in response.

 
At September 11, 2011 10:30 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

Jon, you should hear my friends when I even dare suggest our savage response to 9/11 wasn't the epitome of justice and rectitude.
Oh well, I guess 9/12 will be here soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home