Sunday, March 27, 2011

remembering Joe Bageant



I was very saddened to hear the news that Joe Bageant passed away yesterday, after a four month battle with cancer. In the fall of 2005 I was lucky enough to hear him speak at a small gathering when I lived in Denton, and converse with him briefly. While I realize it's a commonly expressed standard sentiment, I have to believe everybody who met him and got to know him was pretty lucky. I think you get a sense of that just reading him.

December 2010, "AMERICA: Y UR PEEPS B SO DUM?"

October 2010, "Algorithms and red wine"

July 2008, "Life in a post-political age"

February 2008, "Nine billion little feet"

January 2006, "Revenge of the mutt people"

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 27, 2011 4:39 PM, Blogger BDR said...

I hadn't heard. Damn.

Many thanks for the post.

 
At March 28, 2011 3:10 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

A sad loss for our side, that's for sure. I looked forward to his furious, often profane, wonderfully clear-headed essays. Knew he was fearfully ill, but hoped against hope...

 
At March 28, 2011 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP Joe Bageant, a true american original, a great southern writer who cut thru all the bulls#$t and told it like it was

he will be missed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home