Saturday, June 04, 2011

The Soul of Osama Bin Laden

I heard something from a parishioner at St. Theresa's, which would be my parish if I was still a Catholic. It seems that my friend, Lily M., a native of Ventnor, as I am, had requested that a mass be said at St. T.'s for the soul of Osama Bin Laden. The priest agreed, but when the request become known (I don't know how), there was such a protest that he reneged and refused to dedicate the mass to OBL. I e-mailed Lily and asked if this account was true. She wrote back promptly and confirmed it.
Now, I am no longer religious, but I remember plenty from my years at St. James Parochial School. To have those who purport to be the followers of Christ, the Prince of Peace, display such vindictiveness would be laughable if it wasn't so repelling. Naturally, the vast majority of Americans--at least the ones who have been vocal about it--are thrilled and overjoyed at the assassination of Bin Laden. Extra-legal? Immoral? Oh, so what, he was a killer and everybody knows it. Others, not necessarily involved in 9/11, were killed with him? Well, they shouldn't have been hanging with him, anyway. A fair trial, in a court of law? That doesn't apply to people like him.
Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't apply either to those weird peaceniks always jeopardizing our brave men and women in uniform who are defending our way of life and fighting for our freedom and freedom isn't free and buzz, buzz, buzz...klakklakklak...mmmmmmmmmmm...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At June 04, 2011 4:09 AM, Anonymous cemmcs said...

Right on, Mimi!

 
At June 04, 2011 7:42 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

How dare you label me "right," cemmcs?!? Or "left," either, for that matter! (Just kidding, of course. Nice to hear from you.)

 
At June 04, 2011 10:25 PM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Hi Mimi,
you write: "...the vast majority of Americans--at least the ones who have been vocal about it--are thrilled and overjoyed at the assassination of Bin Laden."

I think that's an important distinction. The media encourages us to think that Americans are brutish and stupid, and if you're not brutish and stupid like everybody else, there must be something wrong with you.

 
At June 05, 2011 3:06 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

Good point, Jon. I wish, though, there could be even a gesture toward some kind of widespread debate on the subject and, of course, that of our endless wars. But when it comes to exceptionalism (Americans rule!), there seems no place for discussion aside from those on Internet sources like this one. And I'd rather not guess what percentage of citizens follow those.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home