Saturday, May 12, 2012

12 May 2012

Sam Smith, "America's Silent Collapse" December 2011

Numerian, "Peak Money Arrives" January 2012

Stan Goff, “The Roles of Finance, Food, and Force in US Foreign Policy” February 2012

 Read these articles or else. I've never tried that approach before, I don't know if it's effective because it's funny, or ineffective because it's unfunny, or just ineffective because I'm a bad pitchman. The Numerian and Goff pieces are long, but worthwhile, like the other shorter one by Sam Smith.

I haven't posted in a while in part because I see less point in blogging than I have in the past. Blogs may make the occasional writer occasionally celebrated, "raise awareness" of this or that, and maybe even help people feel less lonely, but they're not going to make the world a better place or anthing like that. I was about to write "...blogs aren't going to change the world" when I realized I'd want to add, "...and that's probably for the best."

 Or maybe it isn't, I don't know. I do know that in blogging as in other things it's unrealistic to assume the larger world of actors think like you and your ilk, or even that you and your ilk are all or mostly right. That's not the same as opting for perpetually noncomittal relativism. Obviously some things matter, like alleviating suffering and inequity, and saving the planet from ecological collapse.

Still on a personal level I'm unwilling to devote the kind of time I'd like to blogging if I'm going to blog. I may come back eventually, but presently I feel no enthusiasm for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home